82% Hydration 60:35:5 Hard Red:Bread:Rye Sandwich …


This bake was new territory for me for 3 reasons…

  • Heaviest recipe I have ever made… 12.75 lbs of dough (5796g).
  • Recovered from 2 potential catastrophes during the bake
  • First time using Rye, even though it was just a little bit.

The almost catastrophes?

(a) I doubled the recipe on accident. I meant to bake 2 large loaves (12″x”4.5″x3.125″ pans). I misread the king arthur recipe and made enough dough for 4 large loaves. I progressed 60% of the way through making the bread thinking… this seems like A LOT OF DOUGH. I loaded the shaped loaves into the pans and after looking at how full the pans were already, I thought I better double check my math. Sure enough… I made enough dough for 4 loaves. I dumped the dough back out of the pans, cut it all in half and reshaped everything. 1 last thing… I thought I was being smart before I realized my mistake with the recipe… I told myself… “This King Arthur recipe must be wrong, this is too much dough, I am going to make 3 loaves instead of 2.” Then, when I realized my mistake, I just decided to keep my 3 loaf modification, so I ended up with 6 loaves (2 long pullman loaves, two 12×4.5×3.125, and two 9x5x3).

(b) Had to make an emergency run to the store and totally forgot the bread was already in the oven. Thank god my kids heard the timer go off and told my wife… otherwise, the bread would have burned.

Started with the ‘Multigrain Sourdough Sandwich Bread’ recipe from King Arthur. I had to make some small tweaks to the recipe and the process to fit my time schedule, the ingredients I had on hand, and my pan sizes.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/multigrain-sourdough-sandwich-bread-recipe

Recipe:

Changes from KA recipe: The original recipe was for 9x5x3 (135 square inches) pans. I increased all ingredients to fit two 12×4.5×3.125 (168.75 square inches) pans. Also, I didn’t have time for an overnight levian and my sourdough is fast, so I took the levian quantities and combined them with the rest of the recipe. I also doubled the recipe. 

  • 1836g Hard Red Home Milled Wheat
  • 1076g HEB Brand Bread Flour
  • 150g Rye
  • 100g Sourdough Starter (50:50 hard red:water, fed the night before)
  • 10g Table Sugar
  • 60g Himalayan Pink Salt
  • 2564g Softened and Filtered Well Water

Process:

  • 9a: In one huge plastic tub, using my hand, combined the hard red wheat, bread flour and water. Smushed it together long enough to make a shaggy mess.
  • Let autolyse for 20 minutes
  • 9:20a: Rubbed sourdough starter onto top of autolyze mass. Then evenly sprinkled rye on top. Then added sugar and salt. Folded over and over again until I felt like there was an even consistency with all of the new ingredients.
  • 10a: Fold inside big tub about 4 or 5 times.
  • 10:30a: Fold inside big tub about 4 or 5 times.
  • 11a: Fold inside big tub about 4 or 5 times.
  • 11:30a: Fold inside big tub about 4 or 5 times.
  • 12a: Fold inside big tub about 4 or 5 times.
  • 12:30a: Fold inside big tub about 4 or 5 times.
  • 1p: Fold inside big tub about 4 or 5 times.
  • 1:30p: Fold inside big tub about 4 or 5 times.
  • At this point, the dough was starting to feel quite full of air. I decided it was a good time to shape the dough and drop it into the bread pans.
  • Weighed the dough and split into 3 balls. 1638g for the smaller pan (9x5x3) and two balls of 2048g for the larger pans (12×4.5×3.125). Let the balls rest for 10 minutes before final shaping.
  • Prepped 3 pans by brushing with melted butter and sprinkling melted butter with AP flour.
  • Shaped the loaves and dropped in the pans. The PANS WERE TOO FULL. So, I reread the KA recipe and realized my mistake… the recipe was already big enough for 2 loaves, when I doubled it messed up.
  • Dumped the dough back out. Cut the 3 loaves in half by eye, preshaped them and waited 10 minutes.
  • While waiting the 10 minutes I pulled out 2 long pullman loaf pans (didn’t use the lids) and one more 9x5x3 pan.
  • 2:30p Shaped the dough and dropped in the 6 pans. Put all 6 loaves inside of turkey basting bags and filled with air to keep them from drying out.
  • 6:00p Dough nearing 2x and poke test seemed to indicate it was about right. Preheated the oven to 500dF.
  • 7:00p Scored loaves. Loaded pans in oven. Dropped temp to 475dF, set timer for 20 min.
  • 7:25p (kids alerted wife to beeping oven). Looked pretty dark, wife covered with foil. Dropped temp to 450dF, set timer for 15 min.
  • 7:40p dropped temp to 425dF, set timer for 8 min.
  • Pulled out and set on racks to cool.

Take aways…

  • The crust was a bit overcooked on some parts. Not sure if that was the recipe’s mistake or something else.
  • The 1024g in the log pullman loaf would have been the perfect size for a pullman loaf with the lid on. The pullman would have trapped the moisture and the bread would have just barely filled the size of the container. I am going to try that next time.



Source link

Post Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *