This air fryer whole chicken recipe is my go-to dinner. It’s totally effortless and makes an insanely juicy chicken that rivals any other method!
This recipe results in absolute perfection every single time. Season a whole chicken and air fry for about an hour. Voila… crispy skin, juicy meat, perfect.
Juicy & Delicious Air Fryer Chicken
Using the air fryer to cook chicken is so quick and easy, and clean up is a cinch. Air fryers make cooking a whole chicken a breeze.
It comes out with a crisp skin on the outside and delicious juiciness on the inside. Having chicken meat ready for sandwiches, soups, and wraps is great for whipping up a quick meal with much-needed protein!
All this amazing recipe needs is a whole chicken, a little olive oil and some seasonings. It is really that simple!
That little bit of seasoning before cooking will guarantee the chicken turns out juicy and tender every time.
Even using a frozen whole chicken is a snap. Simply increase the cooking time, but be aware that the oil and seasonings may not stick as well to a frozen chicken.
How to Make Air Fryer Whole Chicken
This recipe can be ready in just 3 easy steps.
- Remove giblets.
- Rub with oil and seasonings (per recipe below).
- Cook according to air fryer instructions.
Tips for Success
- Choose chickens that have intact skin, are evenly colored, and have a fresh scent to them.
- Be sure to remove organ meat from the cavity before cooking. Those giblets and neck make perfect broth for soups and stews, so put them in the freezer and save them instead of discarding.
- Tie the legs together with twine so the chicken stays moist as it cooks.
- To store air fryer chicken, remove the meat from the carcass and keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, just pop it in the microwave! Refresh the flavors with a little salt and pepper, or make a quick gravy to serve over top!
Air Fryer Favorites
Did you make this Air Fryer Chicken? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
The air fryer is the best way to cook a whole roasted chicken for dinner. Perfectly juicy every time.
Ensure the cavity of the chicken is empty. If they aren’t tied already, tie legs of the chicken together.*
Rub the skin with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning.
Place the chicken breast-side down into the air fryer basket. Turn the air fryer on to 350°F.
Cook for 30 minutes, flip the chicken over and cook for 25-30 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reaches 165°F.
Remove from the air fryer and rest 10 minutes before cutting.
- When picking out a chicken, choose one with intact skin and a small enough size to fit in your fryer.
- I have this 5.8qt air fryer which fits a 3.75lb chicken. Ensure your chicken will fit in your air fryer before starting.
- Make sure to remove all giblets meat from the cavity before cooking. These pieces can be frozen to make giblet gravy.
- To lock in the moisture while cooking, tie the legs together with twine.
- If your chicken is too large (and touches the top element), untie the legs if needed and/or press it to flatten it somewhat until it fits.
Serving: 0.25of a whole chicken, Calories: 444, Carbohydrates: 1g, Protein: 36g, Fat: 32g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 143mg, Sodium: 134mg, Potassium: 360mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 293IU, Vitamin C: 3mg, Calcium: 31mg, Iron: 2mg
Keyword air fryer chicken, how to cook air fryer chicken, roasted chicken, whole chicken