Chicken Tetrazzini is creamy, cheesy, and satisfying. This easy pasta dish has tender chicken and spaghetti baked in an easy cheesy cream sauce.
A handful of add-ins make this casserole flavorful and delicious, the perfect way to enjoy rotisserie or leftover chicken!
What is Chicken Tetrazzini
Chicken Tetrazzini is said to be named after a famous Italian soprano. Whether the story is true or not, this casserole will give everyone who eats it something to sing about!
It’s simple to make (from scratch), and so versatile for any occasion. In a rush? Just drizzle the sauce over spaghetti and serve right away without baking. It’s a breeze to pull this recipe off!
Ingredients & Variations
Anyone who has ever sauteed butter with mushrooms and onions knows it’s a winning combination. This starts with a roux which only gets better with the addition of white wine, cream, garlic, and Italian seasoning!
No Wine? No Problem! If you don’t have white wine or sherry on hand, use extra broth or even water, alone or mixed with a bouillon cube.
It’s OK to sub canned mushrooms for fresh, if necessary. Just drain well and saute with onions. Not a fan of peas? No problem, leave them out.
How to Make Chicken Tetrazzini
Don’t let the fancy name fool you, Chicken Tetrazzini is a cinch to make! Just a few steps and a delicious dinner will be in the oven!
- Preheat oven and cook pasta.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce according to recipe instructions below.
- Toss the two together with chicken, add a sprinkle of cheese and bake until bubbly.
Feel free to add favorite toppings like fried onions or chopped parsley!
Tips for Making Casseroles
- Be sure to undercook the pasta (al dente) so that it stays firm while it’s baking in the sauce.
- Use only pre-cooked chicken. This casserole isn’t going to be the oven long enough to cook raw chicken.
- No cooked chicken on hand? Just poach breasts in boiling water for 20 minutes while prepping the other ingredients. Cool in the freezer for a few minutes before chopping or shredding.
- This dish can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance and baked before serving. If baking chilled from the fridge, cook time will need to be increased.
- Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to three months.
More Creamy Casseroles
Chicken Tetrazzini is a creamy, cheesy casserole that the whole family will love!
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cook pasta al dente according to package directions.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened. Stir in mushrooms and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth, wine, cream and seasonings. Stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
Add cream cheese and stir until smooth and melted.
Combine pasta, sauce, veggies, cooked chicken and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
Spread into a 2qt casserole dish, cover and bake 20 minutes.
Uncover, top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan. Bake 10-15 minutes more or until casserole is hot and cheese is melted.
White wine can be replaced with additional broth if desired.
Peas can be omitted or replaced with asparagus.
Calories: 581, Carbohydrates: 42g, Protein: 20g, Fat: 36g, Saturated Fat: 21g, Cholesterol: 121mg, Sodium: 526mg, Potassium: 391mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 1217IU, Vitamin C: 8mg, Calcium: 257mg, Iron: 2mg
Keyword best Chicken Tetrazzini, Chicken Tetrazzini, chicken tetrazzini recipe, how to make Chicken Tetrazzini