This Cinnamon Roll Cake is heaven in a pan! You’ll like these better than actual cinnamon rolls, no joke.
Check out my Breakfast & Brunch Recipes.
Main Ingredients Needed for Cinnamon Roll Cake
- sour cream
- brown sugar
- powdered sugar
How to Make Cinnamon Roll Cake
1. Whisk up the batter.
It’s really important in any cake recipe to make sure ingredients are at room temperature. You actually have a little wiggle room with this cake (it’s turns out nice and moist pretty much no matter what), but it’s still a good practice to bring your ingredients to room temp before starting.
A couple of tricks I use for room temperature ingredients in this cake:
- Mix the cold sour cream into the hot butter. It “neutralizes” the temperature of both and becomes a lukewarm mixture.
- Run the cold eggs under hot water for a few minutes and then let them sit in the bowl of hot water for a few more. That should do the trick.
- Make sure the water is tepid.
2. Pour the batter into the CORRECT size pan.
This recipe calls for a 10×15 baking dish, which is a little larger than the standard size baking dish (which is 9×13).
If you don’t have a 10×15 baking dish, simply discard 1/2 cup of batter and 1 tablespoon of the filling before adding them to the baking dish.
3. Mix the filling and drop it in the batter.
It will sink to the bottom– that’s fine. That’s what it’s supposed to do. You should still be able to create a nice marbled effect by swirling the filling into the batter.
4. Bake and frost it while warm.
The original recipe I worked off called for a cream cheese frosting. Which is fine, you can definitely do that. But I have an AMAZING cinnamon roll frosting recipe that I created years ago, and I prefer that on top of this cake over the cream cheese frosting.
Trust me– it’s GOOD.
5. Dig in.
Eat it fresh and warm, room temp, or nuked days later. It will be incredible every. single. time. Enjoy!
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water, lukewarm
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
Cinnamon Swirl Filling
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp flour
Cinnamon Roll Icing
- 6 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 2 cup powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 375ºF and grease a 15x10x1 baking pan.
- Whisk the sour cream and the butter together. Whisk in the water as well.
- Mix in the sugar.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Mix well, and then whisk in the flour.
- Pour the batter into a 10×15 baking dish. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Make the filling.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and flour.
- Drop tablespoons of the filling onto the cake batter. Use a knife to swirl the cinnamon, but don’t over mix.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. It won’t be firm, but it should pass the toothpick test.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes before icing.
- Whisk together the melted butter, vanilla, milk, and powdered sugar until it’s smooth.
- Cover and store at room temperature.
- I liked eating this best warm– about 15 seconds in the microwave is perfect!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 315Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 276mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 2g
Love Cinnamon Rolls?
Check out my Cinnamon Roll Recipes!