Every home cook needs to have a mushroom pasta sauce recipe in their recipe box!
This homemade version is super rich and super creamy and the perfect addition to a tagliatelle pasta! A perfect Meatless Monday dinner and a great lunch the next day at school or work, if there is any left!
What is Tagliatelle?
Tagliatelle are long, flat ribbons of pasta that are almost identical to fettucine in color, width, and length (they can vary slightly in thickness).
Tagliatelle comes from a different region in Italy than fettucine does, so even though the names are different they can be used interchangeably. However, tagliatelle does sound a little fancier, doesn’t it?
Mushroom Pasta Ingredients
Wine adds richness and flavor to the dish. Be sure to let it simmer so the alcohol can cook out. You can switch out the white wine for a deep burgundy or Bordeaux when deglazing the pan if you’d prefer.
If tagliatelle or fettuccine aren’t handy, penne, rotini, or orecchiette pasta will do just fine! Look for heftier shapes of paste that the sauce can cling to.
Get creative with the mushrooms! Choose shiitakes, or porcini, or even thin slices of portobellos. If you have dried mushrooms, they can be rehydrated and added to this recipe as well!
How to Make Mushroom Tagliatelle
- Saute onions & mushrooms. Add the garlic & cook until fragrant. Deglaze the pan with wine.
- Add cream and cream cheese. Simmer until thickened.
- Toss with pasta and serve.
Tips for Success
- Cook the pasta until it is just al dente since it will continue to cook when it’s added back to the pan.
- Deglazing the pan is a very important step. Simply scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan while stirring in the wine, those little bits = big flavor!
- Using room temperature cream cheese will make it easier when it is time to blend with the cream and other cheeses.
Storing Creamy Mushroom Tagliatelle
Keep mushroom tagliatelle in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To reheat, add a little cream or milk to the pan and gently stir the pasta until steaming hot. Refresh with salt and pepper and enjoy!