Danni’s recent post of a SD wild rice and cranberry boule had me intrigued. However changes were in store.
- Subbed out the kamut & einkorn for semola rimacinata
- Dropped honey and yogurt, replaced by an equal amount of water.
- Dropped overall hydration to 75%.
- Added bassinage of 10% of the water after the 20 min autolyse. 5 min rest.
- 2 sets of 20 French Folds with a 5 min rest between.
- Letter Folds at 30, 60, 90 and 110 min. Rice and cranberries added at 2nd LF.
- Bulk ferment limited to 2 hours in my warm kitchen. Retarded overnight.
- Divide and shape in early AM, back to retard.
- Baked with steam at 460dF after ~14-16 hrs of retardation.
|Wild Rice Cranberry Levain|
|Danni, mod by alfanso|
|Total Dough Weight (g)||1250||Prefermented||15.00%|
|Total Formula||Levain||Final Dough|
|Total Flour||100.00%||634.7||100.00%||95.2||Final Flour||539.5|
|AP Flour||73.20%||464.6||100%||95.2||AP Flour||369.4|
|Wild Rice||6.65%||42.2||Wild Rice||42.2|
|Soak Wild Rice in Hot Water overnight. Cook & drain, add dried cranberries, refrigerate until mix time.|
|Autolyse Water, Levain, Flours 20 min. Hold back 10% water for bassinage.|
|Bassinage salted water. Incorporate, rest 5 min.|
|20-30 French Folds. Rest 5 min. 20-30 FFs. Into oiled tub.|
|BF 2 Hrs. Incorporate rice and berries on 2nd Letter Fold. .|
|LFs at 30, 60, 90, 110. 10 min rest. retard|
|Retard 12-16 hrs. with divide and shape somewhere in that time.|
|Preheat 475dF, Bake 460dF with steam for first 13 min. Then rotate to finish bake ~13 min more. Final 2 min venting.|
I don’t perceive any advantage to the wild rice save for the unique look it gives the bread. However, the cranberries add a more robust flavor and the bread is just perfect with a soft cheese.
4 folds is a bit much in my book, but I followed this aspect of Danni’s post. On making this again, I’d increase the percent of durum, but tried to faithfully follow Danni’s percentages here this time.
I find that dough laden with add-ins as this one is, mostly provide for a modest grigne and ear in baguette form. As this one is.
Thanks for posting this formula Danni – even if I ran off the rails on a few aspects.
420g x 3 long batards.