When you’re craving a little something sweet, make these Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies. They’re a soft-baked cookie made all in one bowl and are grain-free, dairy-free, and vegan-friendly with only 5 grams of sugar per cookie. Make them with chocolate chips or chunks or a mix of both!
Original recipe titled Paleo Almond Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies was published on December 15th, 2016. Photos and blog content updated on September 3rd, 2020. No changes made to the recipe.
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies are the real deal
One might think that a paleo cookie isn’t as satisfying as a cookie made with regular flour and all the sugar and while that might be the case with some paleo cookie recipes, it’s not with these. Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies are a delicious, soft cookie made with coconut sugar, dark chocolate chips, natural nut butter plus a mix of almond flour and coconut flour. They can be made with or without eggs. A one-bowl recipe that’s made from start to finish in less than 30 minutes. If you’ve been following The Real Food Dietitians blog for a while now, you’ve likely concluded that we’re all about keeping it simple. Whether that means fewer ingredients, quick preparation, or fewer dirty dishes. We love easy recipes!
This post contains affiliate links that will not change your price but will share some commission.
What you’ll need to make Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Almond flour – this recipe has only been tested with a mix of almond flour and coconut flour.
- Coconut flour – when a recipe calls for coconut flour we recommend not substituting it with another flour as it is not a 1 to 1 ratio. Coconut flour absorbs much more liquid than regular flour.
- Coconut sugar – may substitute cane sugar.
- Baking soda
- Egg or flax egg – to make a flax egg mix together 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 3 Tbsp. water, let sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Almond butter – may substitute any nut or seed butter of choice.
- Virgin Coconut oil – also known as unrefined coconut oil.
- Water or almond milk
- Pure vanilla extract
- Dark chocolate chips and/or chunks – we like Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels.
Shop Thrive Market to get the best prices on natural, organic, and specialty foods. PLUS get a free gift when you sign-up!
How to make Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Step 2: In a bowl, combine and mix all ingredients.
- Step 3: Drop dough with a cookie scoop onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Step 4: Form dough into a round mound and flatten with hands to form a cookie. May top with additional chocolate chips.
- Step 5: Bake for 10-16 minutes or until edges look crisp then allow to cool for 5 minutes on the pan before removing to a cooling rack. Baking time will depend on if you use an egg or flax egg. We have found that when these cookies are made with an egg they take closer to 15-16 minutes.
- Step 6: Store cooled cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or in the freezer for up to three months.
Can regular sugar be used in place of coconut sugar?
Coconut sugar makes for a great refined sugar-free sweetener option but if you do not have it on hand or do not want to add an extra baking item to your pantry (we get it!), feel free to substitute regular cane sugar. For cane sugar, we like to use one that is organic.
Can Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies be made egg-free/vegan?
You bet! If you follow an egg-free or vegan diet this recipe is for you! Because the recipe calls for only one egg, substituting a flax egg works great. To make a flax egg simply combine 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of water and let it sit for 10 minutes.
How much sugar is in Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Only 5 grams of sugar per cookie.
That’s right! These Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies can help cure a sweet tooth but without all of the sugar. The 1/3 cup of coconut sugar and 1/2 cup chocolate chips provide just the right amount of sweetness! They are a healthier cookie that are made perfect for packing in lunch boxes or enjoying as an afternoon snack or after-dinner treat.
Other paleo cookie recipes to try!
Go here for all cookie and treat recipes!
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- In a bowl, combine and mix all ingredients. If the dough is too crumbly add additional warm water (one tablespoon at a time). Drop dough with a cookie scoop onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking liner. About one heaping tablespoon of dough per cookie.
- Form dough into a round mound and flatten with hands to form a cookie. May top with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for 10-16 minutes or until edges look crisp. Baking time depends on if the cookies are made with an egg or flax egg. When the cookies are made with an egg, baking time is a little longer.
- Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- Store cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or in the freezer for up to three months.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 130
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 110 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
Pin now to make later!
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!