Kale soup is one of those year-round soups that are just as delicious and satisfying on a cold winter’s day as they are on a warm summer evening.
Not only is this kale soup ultra-tasty, but we made it a one-pot meal that saves on time and clean-up! Bring it to school or work in a thermos and enjoy a filling, flavorful meal that will keep everyone going for the rest of the day!
Hearty & Delicious Soup
We made this soup with our favorite Italian-inspired flavors. It’s packed with healthy things like garbanzo beans, and potatoes, and of course, the star of the soup is kale!
Kale is a superfood and for good reason! Loaded with essential vitamins, minerals, and a dose of fiber, kale also has a nice earthy flavor that makes it so versatile!
I use turkey sausage in this soup to cut the fat a bit but any smoked sausage will do.
Ingredients & Variations
The great thing about kale soup is that subbing out and switching up the ingredients is totally okay!
POTATOES: No potatoes? Try sweet potatoes!
LEGUMES: No garbanzo beans? Use cannellini beans or kidney beans.
Kale soup is perfect for cleaning out the vegetable crisper in the fridge and using up leftover protein from other meals and any veggies ready to be enjoyed. Talk about economical!
How to Make Kale Soup
Easy and nourishing kale soup comes together in 1-2-3!
- Cook potatoes, onion, and sausage in a pan until the onion is tender (use bacon grease instead of olive oil for a little extra flavor.)
- Add remaining ingredients (per the recipe below) and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving, and garnish with grated parmesan cheese!
Tips for Kale Soup
- Be sure to rinse the canned beans to eliminate extra salt and prevent foaming.
- Swap out potatoes for sweet potatoes and add extra veggies if you’d like!
- Kale soup tastes just as good the next day when all the flavor have a chance to blend even more! Keep kale soup in a container with a tightly fitted lid and it will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
- To reheat kale soup, simply place in a pot on the stovetop and add a little salt and pepper to refresh the flavors. An extra sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese and it’s ready to serve again!
- Kale soup can be frozen, too! Pour cooled soup into zippered bags and label with the date. Lay them flat in the freezer and once frozen, store them upright to save freezer space!
Hearty Soups to Try
Did you make this Kale Soup? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Kale Soup is hearty, healthy, and full of fresh ingredients!
Add olive oil to a pan. Combine potatoes, onion, and sausage, cook 4-5 minutes over medium heat or until onion is tender.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Discard bay leaf.
Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top & serve with bread if desired.
Reheat in a pot on the stovetop and add an extra sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese to serve!
Calories: 469, Carbohydrates: 58g, Protein: 21g, Fat: 20g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 40mg, Sodium: 1846mg, Potassium: 1316mg, Fiber: 12g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 3504IU, Vitamin C: 98mg, Calcium: 228mg, Iron: 7mg
Keyword best Kale Soup recipe, how to make Kale Soup, Kale Soup, Kale Soup Recipe