The best chicken sausage recipes to make a healthy, easy dinner that’s packed with flavor. All quick, good for you, and delicious.
Sixteen healthy dinners featuring chicken sausage that make any weeknight meal a breeze!
Do you have a favorite ingredient? Like one you always have in your house and reach for any time you can’t figure out what to make. For me, that magical ingredient is chicken sausage. I am seriously addicted to it. It cooks up in no time, only has between 120-180 calories per link (3-5 SmartPoints), and comes in so many different flavor combinations there is one that works with pretty much any meal. I love using it in pasta dishes, soups, stir-fries, and more. What’s your favorite way to use chicken sausage?
The other thing I love about chicken sausage is its ability to add flavor to virtually any recipe. Chicken sausage comes with its own built-in spice blend. Whether you choose a spicy variety, sweet variety, or one that’s flavored with things like spinach, feta, jalapenos, or apples – you are bringing all that flavor to whatever recipe you prepare. That makes recipe prep quick and easy.
1. Caprese Spaghetti Squash Bake with Chicken Sausage, 314 calories, 7 G, 7 B, 7 P SmartPoints™
This sompel chicken sausage recipe is basically a low carb pasta bake. The spaghetti squash is tossed the flavors of a traditional Caprese salad including cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, olive oil, garlic, fresh basil, and balsamic vinegar. This is combined with an Italian style simple sausage to add extra flavor and some much needed protein.
2. Healthy Shrimp Boil Packets, 458 calories, 10 G, 7 B, 4 P SmartPoints™
Typically shrimp boils use Andouille pork sausage but this one gets a healthier spin with some Andouille chicken sausage. The sausage cooks in an easy to prep foil pack with shrimp, tender red potatoes, corn, green beans, and some extra Cajun seasoning. It’s easy, full of flavor from all the spice in the sausages, and one of our go-to meals all year round.
3. Lemon Orzo with Broccoli and Chicken Sausage,377 calories, 9 G, 9 B, 9 P SmartPoints™
The one pot dish is comfort food at its best with tender orzo, lots of fresh broccoli, lean chicken sausage, and plenty of lemon flavor. It all cooks in a single skillet and is basically a spin on a more classic chicken and rice dish. Topped with Parmesan cheese, it’s hard to beat when it comes to easy dinner ideas.
4. One Pan Mustard Roasted Sausages, Potatoes, and Brussels Sprouts, 346 calories, 8 G, 8 B, 6 P SmartPoints™
There are so many amazing things to say about this sheet pan recipe. The mustard is the perfect compliments to the sausages, Brussels sprouts, and potatoes and adds so much flavor. Plus the fact that everything cooks on a single baking sheet for the easiest clean up, makes it perfct for a busy weeknight.
5. One Pan Sweet Potato, Chicken Sausage and Green Beans, 305 calories, 7 G, 7 B, 4 P SmartPoints™
Another delicious sheet pan recipe using tender sweet potatoes, green beans, and your favorite chicken sausage all tossed in a simple spice blend and roasted in the oven. Switch up the flavors with different veggies and spices for an easy meal you will make again and again.
6. Roasted Italian Sausages with Potatoes, Peppers, and Onions, 314 calories, 7 G, 7 B, 4 P SmartPoints™
There is something about roasted potatoes that makes everyone excited for dinner. This only gets enhanced when you add chicken sausage. The flavors of the sausage soak into the potatoes, peppers, and onions. This makes a super easy and delicious dinner that will quickly become a go-to for busy nights.
7. Pineapple Chicken Sausage, 175 calories, 4 G, 4 B, 4 P SmartPoint™
Grab your favorite flavor of sausage, throw it on the grill, and make the most delicious pineapple salsa to throw on top. The fresh pineapples, cucumbers, and red pepper add so much flavor to these easy sausage sandwiches.
8. Slow Cooker Sausage and Gnocchi Soup, 292 calories, 7 G, 7 B, 7 P SmartPoints™
I love a good soup recipe and one of my favorite proteins to use is chicken sausage. Not only does it cook quickly, but it also adds tons of flavor that you wouldn’t get from something like ground turkey or chicken. Depending on your preferences, make this with a sweet or spicy Italian sausage or switch things up with spinach or roasted red pepper sausage.
9. Garlic Zucchini Noodles with Cherry Tomatoes and Sausage, 342 calories, 6 G, 6 B, 6 P Freestyle Smartpoints
Another low carb meal that’s kicked up with the addition of some ground chicken or turkey sausage. The sausage serves as the base for the dish with cherry tomatoes cooked down in minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and oregano. This is all tossed with fresh zucchini noodles for the ultimate healthy comfort food.
10. Sausage, Spinach, and Polenta Bowl, 319 calories, 8 G, 8 B, 8 P SmartPoints™
If you aren’t serving your chicken with polenta, you are missing out. The creamy polenta soaks up all the flavors of the sausage, spinach, and tomatoes in this dish. It’s perfect for a cold night at home.
11. Chicken Sausage, Mashed Potatoes, and Baby Broccoli, 306 calories, 6 G, 6 B, 4 P SmartPoints™
If you want an easy, family-friendly meal, this is it. Make some quick mashed potatoes and then simply saute the chicken sausages and broccolini while the potatoes cook. Dinner in less then 20 minutes.
12. Breakfast Salad with Sausage, 145 calories, 10 G, 8 B, 8 P SmartPoints™
Don’t forget about breakfast and prep this delicious Whole30 friendly salad for morning meals. Packed with roasted butternut squash, avocado, boiled eggs, sauteed sausage, and veggies – this salad will fuel you for the entire day.
13. One Pan Roasted Italian Sausage, Tomatoes, and Zucchini, 308 calories, 5 G, 5 B 5 P SmartPoints™
If you haven’t noticed, roasting chicken sausages is something that we are constantly doing. This lighter version pairs the sausages with tomatoes, zucchini, and plenty of Italian seasoning and garlic. Serve it alone or on a bed of pasta.
14. Sausage, Spinach, and Tomato Pasta Arrabiata, 353 calories, 9 G, 9 B, 9 P SmartPoints™
This easy spicy pasta dish is packed with veggies and has the perfect balance of spice. Spicy enough that you notice it but not so much you want to stop eating. The sweetness of the tomatoes and the earthiness in the spinach are great with the bold sausage flavors.
15. Sausage and Butternut Squash Breakfast Casserole, 331 calories, 7 G, 5 B, 5 P SmartPoints™
I love having this breakfast casserole in my fridge for easy meals during the week. The butternut squash and spinach add tons of nutrients while the sausage ensures there is plenty of flavor in every bite.
16. Grilled Chicken Sausage and Summer Vegetables, 285 calories, 7 G, 7 B, 7 P SmartPoints™
During summer months, you can be sure this dish is on our table at least once a week. There really is nothing better than fresh veggies on the grill with some grilled sausages. So easy and so good.