Steamed carrots are a perfect simple side dish for rushed weeknights!
Steamed carrots are colorful and naturally sweet, and they add a boost of nutrition to any meal! This recipe is incredibly easy to make and great with pretty much anything!
Simple Side Dish
Steamed fresh carrots taste so much better than frozen or canned!
They are affordable and crazy easy to prep. You can purchase bags of baby carrots which means there’s literally no prep at all for this recipe!
Last but not least, steamed carrots make a great thickener and natural sweetener in sauces and soups (I add them to marinara in place of sugar).
CARROTS This simple recipe calls for carrots. Use garden carrots, baby carrots, regular grocery carrots! If the carrots are really thick, I cut them in half lengthwise.
SEASONINGS Butter, salt, and pepper are added to these steamed carrots. Try garlic butter, Italian seasoning, or paprika for a kick (or a bit of brown sugar if you’d like)!
How to Steam Carrots
With minimal effort, this delicious side dish can be ready to go in minutes!
How to Steam Carrots on the Stovetop
- Place a steamer basket of carrots in a stockpot with water below the basket.
- Bring the water to a simmer and cover the pot.
- Allow carrots to steam at a simmer according to recipe instructions below.
- Remove carrots and toss with butter and seasonings.
How to Microwave Carrots
- Place prepared carrots in a microwave-safe bowl with ¾ cup of water.
- Cover with a paper towel or plastic wrap. Poke holes over the top of the plastic wrap to allow steam to escape.
- Cook on high for 3 minutes at a time or until carrots are tender, about 9-12 minutes in all.
- Keep steamed carrots in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat them in the microwave.
- Or, add leftovers to soup or stew (add just before serving so they don’t overcook).
- Mash leftovers and add them to mashed sweet potatoes, or even to mashed potatoes.
Did you make these Steamed Carrots? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
These Steamed Carrots are tender and simply seasoned with butter, salt, and pepper.
Cut carrots into sticks 2″ long and ½” thick (or use baby carrots).
Place carrots in a steamer basket. Add water to the bottom of a saucepan so it is below the steamer basket, about 1 cup.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Allow carrots to steam 8-11 minutes or until tender-crisp.
Toss carrots with butter, salt, and pepper. Serve warm.
Steam is very hot, use caution when removing the lid after steaming.
Garden fresh or baby carrots will cook faster while store bought carrots may need a few minutes extra.
Calories: 97, Carbohydrates: 11g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 128mg, Potassium: 363mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 19119IU, Vitamin C: 7mg, Calcium: 37mg, Iron: 1mg
Keyword best Steamed Carrots, How to Make Steamed Carrots, Steamed Carrots, steamed carrots recipe