Waldorf Slaw is sweet, savory, crispy and crunchy – the perfect salad for your summer bbq!
Have a question about one of my recipes?
The best place to get answers is the Overtime Cook Recipes Facebook Group!
Today’s recipe isn’t mine – it’s from my friend, Rivky Kleinman, from her incredible new cookbook, Simply Gourmet. If you haven’t heard yet about this new cookbook, Simply Gourmet is full of just the type of recipes I love – mostly easy, totally doable, and completely delicious! And trust me when I tell you that Rivky Kleinman knows delicious food that’s approachable – she’s the co-author of the incredibly popular Bais Yaakov Cookbooks!
So. Let’s talk about this sample recipe, shall we? This Waldorf Slaw is super easy to throw together. It’s got an incredible blend of sweet, savory and tangy flavors. The textures are crispy, crunchy and just perfect. And I love Rivky’s idea of boiling up the dressing to wilt the cabbage quickly. It’s these kind of quick, easy hacks that I love about Simply Gourmet.
Are you following @overtimecook on Instagram yet?
Author: Miriam Pascal, OvertimeCook.com
Serves: 8 servings
Recipe from Simply Gourmet by Rivky Kleinman, reproduced with permission from the copyright holders, ArtScroll/Mesorah Publications
- 1 (14-16 ounce) bag shredded green cabbage
- 1½ cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 granny smith apples, cut into matchstick shapes
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ cup diced red onion or shallot (about one small onion)
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup roasted salted cashews
- Place cabbage, purple cabbage, apple, celery, onion and blueberries in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a small pot over medium-low heat. Add vinegar, sugar and oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes, until the mixture comes to a boil. Add salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Stir to combine.
- Pour dressing over vegetables in bowl. There is no need to let dressing cool, as the heat will help wilt the cabbage. Toss to combine.
- Add cashews just before serving.
Want more deliciousness from Rivky? Click here to buy Simply Gourmet.
Follow @Rivky_Kleiman on instagram for more delicious recipes!
Like This Recipe? You will absolutely LOVE my cookbooks!
They also make a great gift!
Click here to purchase Something Sweet.
Click here to purchase Real Life Kosher Cooking
Never miss a new recipe! Follow me for all the updates on:
Thanks for stopping by! -Miriam
Disclosure: OvertimeCook.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com